Harlem Gospel Experience Walking Tour
Schedule: April to December | Sundays
Duration: 3.5 – 4 hours (2 hours of tour and around 1.5 hours of service)
Departure Time: 07:45 a.m. & 08.00 a.m. EST
Other Language: Spanish & French
Important Note: Out of respect for the congregation hosting us, please dress appropriately and refrain from wearing flip-flops, tank tops, or shorts.
- Adult - English Ages 12 +
- Child - English Ages 5-11
- Adult - Foreign Language Ages 12 +
- Child -Foreign Language Ages 5-11
Harlem Gospel Experience Walking Tour
Enjoy a neighborhood tour of the cultural capital of Black America and experience the soulful sounds of gospel music. Explore the streets walked by greats such as Billie Holiday, Malcolm X, and Michael Jackson while viewing legendary sites like the Apollo Theater, the Abyssinian Baptist Church, the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Strivers’ Row, Hotel Theresa, and much more. After the neighborhood tour, you also have a chance to enjoy a gospel performance at a service in a local church.
- View the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, one of the largest research libraries dedicated to the history of African Americans.
- Visit the exterior of the Harlem Hospital, home to the first major WPA commissioned work awarded to an African American artist.
- Discover how Harlem became the second Dutch colony in Manhattan and learn the story of its enslaved African Americans as well as the arrival of African Americans during the Great Migration to Harlem.
- Learn about the origins of Gospel Music and how its influences spread throughout the Christian churches and served as the foundations for many different types of American music.
- View iconic Harlem sites like Abyssinian church, Strivers’ Row, the Apollo Theater, African Square, and many other locations.
- Get a chance to experience local gospel music at a Harlem church.
This tour is wheelchair-accessible.
- This tour is included in the New York Pass, Go City All-inclusive Pass and Explorer Pass.
- Pass customers please visit the page and follow the instruction to make a reservation.
Meeting & End Locations
- Meet your guide at Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture – 515 Malcolm X Blvd, New York, NY 10037
- The guide will be holding up a Red, Inside Out Tours Flag.
- The tour end location depends on the church we visit on the day, it is usually a couple of blocks away from Adam Clayton Powell Jr State Office Building.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If you are booking with a Go City PASS (Including New York Pass, All Inclusive Pass, or Explorer Pass), please book the tour from the page below: https://insideouttours.com/book-with-pass/
- If pass holders select the wrong option and purchase full-price tickets and you will NOT receive a refund and will NOT be able to exchange paid tickets for a pass reservation. To book using a pass, please select visit this page & follow the booking instructions to make a reservation with a Pass.
Cancellations made with a minimum of 48 hours advance notice will receive the opportunity to reschedule. All requests must be put in writing and received by us. Please email us here!
Once a tour has started we cannot delay for late arrivals or interrupt a tour guide so that latecomers may find them, as this adversely affects the tour experience for others. Please call 800-258-7359 and we will try our best to direct you to the next destination on the tour.
Our tours run rain or shine. In the case of severe inclement weather, tours will be canceled and a full refund will be provided.
Gratuities are accepted and greatly appreciated. They’re a great way to tell your guide they did an awesome job and show your appreciation.
Check out Frequently Asked Questions for more details.
Or contact us here!