- *Reservations are Required*: As our tours quickly reach capacity, we highly recommend reserving as soon as possible.
- Schedule: Sundays year-round. Saturdays April – December.
Additional section on Sundays from April – October
- Time: 8:30 a.m (and additional section at 8:00 a.m. & 9:00 a.m.)
- Foreign Language: Sundays at 8:30 a.m. in French during March through December
- Duration: approximately 4 hours (1.2 MI / 1.9 KM)
- Meeting Place: In front of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture [515 Malcolm X Blvd, New York, NY 10037]
- End Point: Harlem gospel church
Learn about African American gospel music
Discover the elements of gospel music as well as its unique cultural and historical roots.
Hear traditional African American gospel music performed at a local church service.
View world-famous Harlem landmarks including the Apollo Theater, Striver’s Row, and the Abyssinian Baptist Church.
Enjoy a neighborhood tour of the cultural capital of Black America and experience the soulful sounds of gospel music.
Explore the streets of greats like Billie Holiday, Malcolm X, and Michael Jackson while viewing legendary sites like the Apollo Theater, the Abyssinian Baptist Church, the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Striver’s Row, Hotel Theresa, and much more. End your Harlem gospel tour with a traditional African American gospel music performance at a service in a local gospel church.
- This tour is wheelchair-accessible.
- Out of respect for the congregation hosting us, please dress appropriately and refrain from wearing flip-flops, tank tops, or shorts.
- This Harlem gospel tour is included in the New York Pass, Explorer Pass, and Go City Build Your Own Pass.