Discover the elements of gospel music as well as its unique cultural and historical roots.
- Schedule: Sundays year-round
- Time: 9 a.m.
- Foreign Language: Sundays at 8:30 a.m. in Spanish (Español) during March through December
- Duration: 4 – 4.5 hours [1MI/1.6KM]
- Meeting Place: In front of Trinity Church [located at 79 Broadway, New York, NY 10006]
- End Point: Downtown Brooklyn
Experience the soulful sounds of Gospel
Discover the elements of gospel music as well as its unique cultural and historical roots on this music tour of New York City.
Learn about how gospel music is intertwined throughout neighborhoods in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Experience the soulful sounds of a Grammy Award-winning multicultural choir.
Listen to the beautiful, uplifting sounds of a world-famous NYC gospel choir, learn the history of American gospel music, and view the gorgeous homes and churches of Brooklyn Heights during this NYC Gospel Walking Tour. Our tour begins in lower Manhattan where we learn about the roots of African American gospel culture and the experience from which gospel music emerged. Then, we continue on to Brooklyn Heights, with its gorgeous brownstones, historic homes and churches, and view the church that launched gospel music onto the world stage. Finally, we end our tour at a church in a concert-hall setting with a Grammy Award-winning multicultural choir where we listen to modern and contemporary gospel music.
- Please purchase MetroCard prior to the tour for two stops: Brooklyn Heights and the return home.
- This gospel in NYC tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Out of respect for the congregation hosting us, please dress appropriately and refrain from wearing flip-flops, tank tops or shorts. Also, please note that due to the popularity and policies of the church, guests who wish to sit in the main sanctuary where the choir is performing must stay for the entire service (from 11am to 1pm). Also, on certain Sundays, an ensemble of top singers will perform at the discretion of the church.
- This tour is included in the New York Pass, Explorer Pass, and Go City Build Your Own Pass.